[Development] www.qt.io/download-open-source is broken

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Wed Sep 17 22:17:12 CEST 2014

On 17/09/14 21:55, "Mark Gaiser" <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Kuba Ober <kuba at mareimbrium.org> wrote:
>> I’d like to personally scold whoever came up with the idea of starting
>>the “default” download at www.qt.io/download-open-source. I, for one,
>>never download the default installer since it was always subtly broken
>>in one fashion or another, I always build from source. So now, the
>>genius responsible for this is also responsible for wasting tons of
>>bandwidth for useless downloads, and for wasting 20MB *repeatedly* off
>>of my 1GB monthly mobile plan. Thank you very much (NOT).

Well, most sites out there I know start a download automatically if you
click on a download button (which you probably did from qt.io/download to
get to the page you mentioned).

>> So much for the usability of the new site, and for wishing to explore
>>it from a phone. The person responsible should be scolded until it sinks
>>in. I’m not kidding. This is form over substance at its finest. I like
>>modern designs, but they must be actually usable. qt.io right now is
>>like a very well manicured pig (with apologies to bacon).
>
>Why so hostile?
>Please try to give constructive feedback to those making the site.

Yes, please. The site is new, and there are bugs in there and things that
are not perfect. We still have a long list of known issues that need to be
sorted out. Still we feel that the site is now in a state that is is a
clear improvement over the old qt.digia.com site. We launched it because
of that and to be able to collect feedback from the community and our
users.

Cheers,
Lars