[Development] JSON 64 bit int

Julien Blanc julien.blanc at nmc-company.com
Thu Apr 2 08:58:52 CEST 2015

On 12/02/2015 08:42, Knoll Lars wrote:

> Yes, 80 or 128bit doubles are out of the question. The RFC basically
> doesn’t specify the range of allowed values, but hints that it should at
> least support doubles. We can go above that and allow 64bit integers as
> well as they are rather common these days. But anything above that is IMO
> something that is out of scope for Qt.
>
> So I’d be ok with a patch that adds builtin support for 64bit integers.
> We’d then need to decide at parse time whether to store the value as
> integer or double, and since JSON only talks about numbers the getters
> have to do automatic conversion (or we’d break existing code). To be able
> to deal with them you’d need a isInteger() flag on QJsonValue.

This thread is quite old, but there are some news here that are relevant :

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7493.txt

Basically, i think QJson is currently conform to i-json (interoperable
json). That should at least :
- gives some arguments about *not* using 64bit integers (this is handled
by the RFC : use strings in that case)
- maybe allows a strict / non strict mode.

Regards,

Julien Blanc