[Development] Why is QTBUG-27186 closed?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 18:27:48 CEST 2015

On Thursday April 02 2015 11:58:58 Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Do you honestly expect that every Qt install on a Linux-based platform
> will also have the base KF5 libraries installed? Even on a machine that

No, and I didn't say that. I did mention "reasonably small" and "standalone", meaning not requiring all of the base KF5 libraries.

> (¹ And there *are* legitimate reasons. Some applications may need the
> ability to tweak the dialogs or their behavior. I've seen some do it

Isn't that exactly what this is about? How does fixing QFileDialog help applications that disable these dialogs to roll their own?

> > Adding specific code to an extension library is usually preferable to patching Qt ...
>
> There may be cases in which I would agree with that statement. This is
> not one of them. This is *not* a bug that is specific to Linux. It

That statement was not specific to the QFileDialog issue, but referred to cases where we can no longer modify (adapt) downstream code (KDE) to do the appropriate thing on a non-Linux Unix platform, but have to resort to patch Qt. And in those cases it's much less clear-cut where the defect is.