[Development] Qt Quick Controls for Embedded

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at theqtcompany.com
Wed Apr 8 15:18:27 CEST 2015

Hi all,

as announced by JP's blog post, we've been working on a new set of Qt Quick
Controls that have slightly different goals than the existing ones:
http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/03/31/qt-quick-controls-for-embedded/

The main target is performance, especially on low end hardware.
The code will live in the qtquickcontrols module, next to the existing
controls. For now there is only one style supported, with some theming
capabilities. This is an important point to get top notch performance.

Now is the time to give everyone the chance to play with the new controls
which are at a "tech preview" level. Since the architecture is different, we
want to keep a clean separation in the qtquickcontrols git module and will
move the code around to accommodate both modules within the repository.
The plan is to create two top level directories in the repository: a controls1
directory containing everything currently in the repository
(src/tests/examples), and a controls2 directory to contain the new controls.

Note that both sets of controls will be co-installable and work together. That
is to say, the following will work just fine:

import QtQuick.Controls 1.x as Controls1
import QtQuick.Controls 2.x

After a long discussion, we think that going with a major version is easiest,
as we didn't find a great name that makes it clear what the new control set
provides; "Embedded Controls" or "Touch Controls" don't quite seem right.

Greetings,
Frederik