[Development] [Interest] QJSEngine and error line

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 16:06:21 CEST 2015

On 7 April 2015 at 17:31, Joerg Bornemann
<joerg.bornemann at theqtcompany.com> wrote:

> On 07-Apr-15 09:59, Dominique Fober wrote:
>
> > I'm using the new QJSEngine and I'm trying to get the error line number (in case of error of course).
> > Currently I'm handling errors as documented:
> >
> >       if (result.isError()) result.toString().toUtf8() ...
> >
> > but actually, the string is very poor: e.g. "SyntaxError: Syntax error"
> > I would like to get at least a line number. Contextual information would be also welcome.
> > Is it possible with the QJSEngine? (I'm using Qt 5.3.0)
>
> Try to access the properties "message", "fileName" and "lineNumber".
>
> if (result.isError())
>      qDebug() << result.property("fileName").toString();

Ooh, this is news to me.

I think we should document this somewhere, if it isn't already done (I
searched but couldn't find anything). I'm happy to volunteer if
necessary. Could you please provide a list of built-in properties of
various QJSValue types?

Also, what do you think of some API that returns a list of available
properties? (similar to QObject::dynamicPropertyNames() )

> result is a JavaScript Error object iff isError returns true.

Regards,
Sze-Howe