[Development] Allowing event delivery prior to and after QCoreApplication

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Apr 14 18:27:34 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 14 April 2015 17:53:20 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> This may be an open door, but couldn't you change the application's entry
> point (or provide an alternative entry point like KDE does with kdemain).
> That gives you an extra layer around what the user sees as the main
> function.

I don't see how that is beneficial to anything here. It's at best a no-op.

> Combine that with a modified private class with a d pointer that
> does not necessarily get deleted when the Q*Application dtor is called, and
> you may have a solution? You won't be breaking any applications, and users
> can decide for themselves if/when they change their code to make use of the
> new approach.

The problem is not the d pointer or the private class.

The problem is the public, *user* class if they derived from QApplication.

If they've overridden notify(), then I need to know when the *user* class
begins destruction so that we stop calling notify(). Robert's solution would
allow for it, but at the expense of being source incompatible with every
single Qt application.