[Development] HEADS-UP: Qt 5.4.2 release coming

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 15:26:36 CEST 2015

On Tuesday April 21 2015 14:37:49 Olivier Goffart wrote:

> If people have been living in the 80s for that long, they can wait until the
> next minor release.

If I decided to pick up on this it's because I had had enough of it that about none of the Medium/Semibold fonts I use in my GUIs were stable (i.e. always "evolved" into either Bold or Normal).

> If this is not a regression against Qt4, then it is a new

Hmmm, yes and no. Qt4 is affected too, but in a different way.

> Especially because font rendering is so delicate, and fixes somewhere in this
> area tends to break applications that relied on the previous behaviour.
> (When suddenly a line is a pixel larger, the rendering of a whole screen can
> be disastrous.)

This doesn't have anything to do with rendering. I'm not touching that. It's got to do with getting the proper QFont :

QFont font = QFontDialog::getFont(&ok, QFont(), this, "Select Font", options);
QFont font2 = QFont(font.family(), font.pointSize(), font.weight(), font.italic());
QFont font3 = QFontDialog::getFont(&ok, font2, this, "Select Font", options);

the second dialog can give a different font than the one selected in the 1st and indeed font3==font2!=font . Good test fonts are the Avenir Next and Helvetica Neue families (system fonts on OS X, the latter then new UI default), or even the Segoe UI family that comes with all MS Windows machines.

Anyway, I'm not going to insist it has to go into 5.4, but I'm not going to go out of my way to prepare and test the patches against software I'm not even planning to build without proper incentive. Someone may (will) have to pick up on what I come up with.

R.