[Development] Rotating JPEG images by default

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 21 17:24:20 CEST 2015

On 04/17/2015 11:48 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> If we go with the QImageReader level, it could be an QImageIOHandler::Option,
> and possibly be set different between JPEG and TIFF by default. The real
> problem is what we decide the default for JPEG should be now.

IMHO, QImageReader default behaviour should be that of providing a
rendered image that looks as visually correct as possible. Whether the
orientation is encoded in the image bits or as an EXIF tag is rather
irrelevant: the result should be that the QImage contains the image
shown with the proper orientation.
So, I'm very happy that this bug has been fixed.

On the other hand, since we had applications which had already
implemented workarounds for this, we should have a way to let them know
whether they are using a new Qt image plugin which contains this fix or not.
Adding an orientation option to QImageIOHandler::ImageOption would be a
possibility.

Ciao,
   Alberto