[Development] HEADS-UP: Qt 5.4.2 release coming

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:51:13 CEST 2015

On Tuesday April 21 2015 16:38:57 Olivier Goffart wrote:

> That's not the point.

That *was* not my point. Which was: who knows how many users have been working around it, or putting up with it, as I used to do.

> As I said, i don't know the specific details of this patch, but the problem is
> the same. If you get a different font (because you get the more 'proper' font
> now), then this can break applications layout.
> It is a behaviour change that should not be part of a patch release.

The removal of a crashing bug which people avoid by using undocumented features (that might be affected by a proper fix) is also a behavioural change that line of thought...

The issue also isn't that font selection through the font dialog doesn't work. It does. Common font weights and styles also get restored properly. That won't change. The only cases in which layout that will change is when applications rely on getting the wrong font, one way or another. In other words, they exploit undocumented behaviour, and that should be their problem.

> (And honestly, it is not too hard to switch branches. If you can build 5.4 it
> is no more work to build 5.5 or dev)

Sure, if I really had unlimited time and resources at my disposal I wouldn't mind. That's not the case, so I'm not going to be wasting hours of those I do have to build something I'm not going to use. And certainly not if we're talking about 5.6, because that would mean I'll also have to tackle 5.5 and if so ... well, no thanks.