[Development] Rotating JPEG images by default

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:47:27 CEST 2015

Konstantin

> On 04/22/2015 09:39 AM, André Somers wrote:
> > I'm with Konstatin on this one: it seems like a regression to me. It
> > would be a useful feature to add, but then add it in such a way that it
> > is actually clear what it does, the user can control it, and it does not
> > break applications. I think it _is_ relevant how the image is encoded.
>
> It may be that we disagree because we have a different view of what is
> the goal of QImage and friends. To me, what matters is not the pixel
> data, but how the image looks like when I blit it.
> I'm writing an image viewer using QML, and I just expect that
>
>    Image {
>      source: "file.jpg"
>    }
>
> will show me the file as it's intended to be viewed. I don't think that
> it's acceptable to require the developer to play with flags in order to
> see the image with the correct rotation.

In your image viewer, you'll have 99 other QML Image elements for
buttons/background/whatever that doesn't load photos.
I don't think your expectation/intention is to make all your UI elements
1) dependent on a metadata ignored by most image viewers (- crap, editor
shows me a 400x300 image and it appears to be 300x400 in QML. stupid QML!
stupid trolls! I need to kill someone...)
2) behave differently prior to 5.4 and after 5.4.

Enabling that feature in 5.4 IS a behavioral regression which must be fixed.

> If the camera really wanted to put the image in the right side up, it
> > should have just rotated the actual image. By default, I would expect to
> > load the image as-is.
>
> We disagree on what "as-is" means. :-) For me, EXIF information is an
> integral part of the image.

Regardless of how you interpret "image as it's intended to be viewed", CSS
doesn't do auto-rotation by default - one have to enable this feature where
needed.

> Also, sometimes the camera guesses the orientation wrong (especially
> when you shoot at the sky or at the ground), and the best way to correct
> that is to do it in a lossless way, using the EXIF rotation flag; there
> are several image viewers that allow you to do this.

Unrelated. It doesn't matter where to transform - on the camera, in the
viewer, or at load time.