[Development] Licensing of WinRT and Windows Embedded in Qt 5.5

Turunen Tuukka tuukka.turunen at theqtcompany.com
Wed Apr 29 12:00:30 CEST 2015

Hello,

The Qt Company has decided that the license of WinRT port of Qt will be LGPLv3 / GPLv2+ / Commercial in Qt 5.5. Microsoft is soon to release Windows 10, and Qt 5.5.x is planned to bring full support for it. We prefer LGPLv3 and therefore we want to adjust the licensing now and discontinue the LGPLv2.1 option of Qt for WinRT. There are no changes to the licensing of Win32 port of Qt. The terms and conditions of the Windows Store are compatible with the new licensing options.

Similarly it has been decided that the license of Windows Embedded Compact (WinCE) port of Qt will be LGPLv3 / GPLv2+ / Commercial in Qt 5.5. This has already been discussed with KDAB, who is the platform maintainer and a major contributor of the Windows Embedded Compact port of Qt.

There is a blog post describing our plans for Windows 10 support: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/04/29/windows-10-support-in-qt<http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/04/29/windows-10-support-in-qt/>

Yours,

Tuukka Turunen
Director, R&D