[Development] Found wince info in Gerrit ,which makes me panic

Andrew Knight andrew.knight at intopalo.com
Sat Aug 1 09:48:51 CEST 2015

On 07/31/2015 07:40 PM, Gunnar Roth wrote:
> Hi.
> I found https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/122523/
> Which says
> This library is not supported on WINCE.
> The target is to disappear from Qt very soon anyway.
> This is written by alexander.blasche at theqtcompany
> So is there some secret decison made at The qt company?
> But I thought wince will stay around much longer.
>
> Iwould also like to know why qtserialbus is not supported in MS realtime system.

I agree that the commit message looks a bit uninformed, given that Qt
should still support WEC (if only 2013+) in Qt 5.7 and beyond. The new
CI has a WEC7 stage, so one would expect that this gets replaced by a
WEC2013 stage at some point in the future.

That said, I imagine Alex was simply trying to save CI from the trouble
of trying to build this module on an unsupported platform (WEC7) that
will indeed be dropped from the Qt dev CI after 5.6 has been branched.
That has nothing to do with the fact that the module would make perfect
sense for Windows Embedded (given its presence in the automotive
industry), it just means that no one is actively trying to support
building it there (in this case, WEC2013). Maybe the guys from KDAB (or
you, Gunnar) will step up to add support for this module on that platform.

Perhaps one of the QtSerialBus developers can shed some more light on
this decision.

--
Andrew