[Development] status of exception handling on windows and mdvc compiler

Gunnar Roth gunnar.roth at gmx.de
Fri Aug 7 15:30:19 CEST 2015

Hi,
i accidentally stumbled over this: https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/122584/ <https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/122584/>
MSVC2015: Disable warning C4577 ('noexcept' used with no exception handling mode specified).

Fix the flood of warnings:

src/corelib/global/qflags.h(52): warning C4577: 'noexcept' used with no exception handling mode specified; termination on exception is not guaranteed. Specify /EHsc

now occurring since we don't have exception handling enabled.

When compiling qt.5.5 with vs2015 i saw these many errors myself. But is it the real solution to disable that warning instead not using noexcept when exceptions are off ( using a  Q_NOEXCEPT macro)
I was under the impression that exception handling is enabled by default on windows using mdvc. I also tried configure.exe with -exceptions switch but got an error, that this option is unknown.

If not using exceptions on msvc how are you  able to detect new failures? Is qt linking to nothrow.obj?

as a side topic i found http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/08/06/new-in-vs-2015-zc-throwingnew.aspx <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2015/08/06/new-in-vs-2015-zc-throwingnew.aspx>
and this arises the qustion how am i supposed to add my own option? making my own mkspec?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Gunnar Roth