[Development] Qt LTS & C++11 plans

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 18 07:46:18 CEST 2015

On Monday 13 July 2015 18:44:40 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2015 13:42:12 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > The only compiler I currently know that will have problems with this is
> > the  Intel compiler on OS X when using libc++ older than Subversion
> > r215305. Unfortunately, _LIBCPP_VERSION has been at value 1101 since way
> > before that change. To restore functionality, I will revert
> > 1b961e8b5d508d054e31c0050f27891606714393 after 5.6 branches off from dev.
>
> Upon further investigation, it turns out that ICC has worked around the
> libc++  problem since version 15.0 by providing its own std::atomic
> implementation when __clang__ is defined (probably a mistake and should
> have been a check for _LIBCPP_VERSION).

Looks like std::atomic that came with the latest XCode that still runs on OS X
10.8 is also broken with Clang.

Choices:
 1) drop the ability to build Qt and applications using an old XCode
 2) keep qatomic_x86.h for OS X.

So, Mac people: is it ok to drop OS X 10.8 as a *build* platform? This should
not affect using it as a target.