[Development] Qt Quick Controls Dialogs -- enabled state of the standard buttons (API choices)

Vladimir Moolle vmoolle at ics.com
Wed Aug 26 18:59:20 CEST 2015

Hi,

>>> What is the benefit of adding ButtonBox over just adding a
Dialog.buttonRole attached property?

Proper componentization -- Dialog does it’s job of handling the content,
accepting and rejecting, etc, and ButtonBox (when parented) brings in logic
responsible for OS-specific standard button layout.  If later there’s a
need to add a “smarter” / differently-behaving ButtonBox alternative, a new
type can be added (and ButtonBox deprecated, potentially) -- without
stumbling into what we have now, with standardButtons API being there
already.

>> It’s also a bit scary that there are now three ways to add buttons to a
dialog:

Yes, two of them add / layout standard buttons in an OS-specific way (with
the third one being generic), and one of those two should indeed be
eliminated, just as you suggest:

>>> Can’t we just deprecate standardButtons and tell users that ButtonBox
or Dialog.buttonRole is the new way of declaring standard buttons?

With that in mind, and if there are no serious objections, we’d like to
begin implementing a patch tomorrow.

Best regards, Vladimir