[Development] RFC: more liberal 'auto' rules?

Smith Martin Martin.Smith at theqtcompany.com
Fri Dec 4 08:58:19 CET 2015

+1

martin

From: Development <development-bounces at qt-project.org> on behalf of Randall O'Reilly <randy.oreilly at Colorado.EDU>
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 8:35 AM
To: Marc Mutz
Cc: development at qt-project.org
Subject: Re: [Development] RFC: more liberal 'auto' rules?

This debate between the std:: lib and wider C++ community vs. the Qt traditions seems never-ending :)  At the risk of perpetuating the inevitable flame war, my perspective is well captured in this article:  http://simpleprogrammer.com/2012/12/01/why-c-is-not-back/

C++ is WAY too complex of a language, and other alternatives are rapidly gaining users (particularly Python in the domain of scientific computing).  The STL and its sea of recursive templates has in particular been incredibly daunting.  C++11 helps, but the complexity remains..

Of course, there is no “right” answer in any of these language debates: only different people optimizing different ends of many different fundamental tradeoffs.

C and C++ in general tend to attract people who favor optimization over simplicity / usability of the language.  Marc is clearly in that camp, advocating many ways of optimizing performance..  With all the new language options, presumably those that stick with C++ are even more apt to be obsessed with performance..

But Qt is beloved by many (myself included) because it provides a *simple*, elegant, well-designed, well-named API, that does a lot of stuff..  Not because of its optimal performance or cutting-edge language features and adherence to the C++ standard..

I got “stuck” in C++ for historical reasons: it was the only viable option for object-oriented programming in the 1990’s.  Sure, I care about optimization for my critical inner loops.  But for everything else, I really wish it was a lot simpler.  And again, I value Qt for making it so in the GUI, which consumes a huge amount of my code, and has minimal performance demands, because it is a GUI and the human in the loop is almost always the rate limiting factor.  Of course we don’t want exponential slowdowns with large numbers of Widgets etc, but I’ve never found that to be a problem in Qt.

So anyway, this is just a vote to keep with the solid tradition of favoring simplicity, clarity, usability, readability, etc, instead of just following the std:: C++ crowd!  Without Qt, I would have to suck it up and rewrite everything in Go or Python or something.. :)

- Randy