[Development] Proposal to change connectSlotsByName behavior

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Fri Dec 4 09:16:43 CET 2015

>>  >If we do decide to change the order, I have a follow-up question:
>>  >  do we change it only in connectSlotsByName, or do we change
>>  >  QObject::findChildren to reflect the new order?
>>
>>  Both. A breath first search makes sense there as well. I don't think
>>the
>>  order of the children is specified there so one should not rely on it
>>  anyway.
>
>It isn't specified, so we can change.
>
>But I'd expect that the flattening of the tree produces depth-first.
>Breadth-
>first could result in a violation of the principle of least surprise.
Why? That is not my expectation at all. If you ask somebody if he has a
child named Maria, is he most likely to first name his second daughter
or the granddaughter by his first child you think?

>>  I'd like to add a new alternative (though it does not exclude a
>>change
>>  now either):
>>
>>  - Deprecate the behaviour and remove in Qt 6.
>
>What behaviour would you want to be removed? The whole
>connectSlotsByName()?
Yes, the whole feature. IMnsHO it is indeed a misfeature as Eike called
it. There are a few more in Qt, but this certainly is one.

André