[Development] RFC: more liberal 'auto' rules?

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at theqtcompany.com
Fri Dec 4 13:38:13 CET 2015

Just want to comment on this argument ...

I know that some influential members are suggesting the AAA (almost always auto),
but I think it's a bit overboard to claim that this is "the C++ world".

Take for instance the coding guidelines of Clang:

http://llvm.org/docs/CodingStandards.html#use-auto-type-deduction-to-make-code-more-readable

Or google:

https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html#auto

Even the C++ core guidelines don't explicitly say 'use auto always', but only to avoid redundant repetition of type names:

https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/blob/master/CppCoreGuidelines.md#Res-auto

So I think the ruling is still out whether the "AAA style" is really picked up by a lot of projects.

Regards

Kai