[Development] Proposal to change connectSlotsByName behavior

Giuseppe D'Angelo dangelog at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 14:27:04 CET 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Benjamin TERRIER <b.terrier at gmail.com> wrote:

> My proposal is to change the behavior of connectSlotsByName to do a
> breadth-first search. In this case, if a direct child is a match it
> will be used
> for the connection regardless of possible matches deeper in the
> hierarchy. Doing so would solve the situations stated above and
> restore encapsulation.

I don't like the idea of changing a behaviour which is now more than
10 years old. If so, it must happen for Qt 6, and the best we can do
in Qt 5 is add warnings (in debug builds of Qt?) that
connectSlotsByName with multiple children matching the name leads to
undefined results and can change at any time...

About findChild(ren) ordering, I would say to fix the documentation
(once more because people using it are relying on the behaviour).

My 2 c,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo