[Development] High-DPI 5.6 beta update

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at theqtcompany.com
Fri Dec 18 12:20:52 CET 2015

> On 18 Dec 2015, at 01:05, Corentin Jabot <corentin.jabot at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Having stumbled upon this issue very recently, here are my 2 cents.
> 	• Svg images should be devicePixelRatio aware without having to set a source size
> 	• Likewise, QQuickImageProvider should know about devicePixelRation, without having to set a source size.
> 	• I would absolutely love an icon format, but I'm not a fan of QTBUG-49820 proposal. As mentioned, it basically requires a full scan of the directory. The performance implications are quite scary. I see a few solutions:

Updated the task to mention an icon-descriptor file (this was already in the comments).

I wonder what the actual performance implications will be. You are already going to disk to load the image file, what is the cost of adding a directory scan on top of that?

> 		• Accept .ico/icns files. The limitation is that these formats do not distinguish size and density (I quite like the idea of these too things being independent, but I don't think it will be used that often)

For what it’s worth, Qt Creator already has an instance of an icon that uses both (the spinning busy indicator). You can get far with not making the distinction though.

> 		• In any case, I feel that the extension should always be specified. ( source = "path/to/foo" really does feel TOO magical )

I’m also not 100% happy with how the source is specified there. I added the “.png” extension in task now. We still have a path to a file that does not exist on the file system, so I’m not sure if it helped.

Morten