[Development] How to link a commit to a bug report

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Sun Dec 20 11:15:19 CET 2015

Hi,

thanks for contributing to Qt! :)

Il 20/12/2015 08:56, Frederic Marchal ha scritto:
> I created QTBUG-50068: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-50068 and
> now I may have a patch to commit.
>
> How do I tell the world that this commit is for that bug report?
>
> I see some commits have a Task-number. Do I add it manually to the
> commit message?

That's correct. There should be a hint in the commit message template
(when you install the hooks from Qt), but otherwise, it's manual.

> In the meantime, while I'm taming gerrit, how do I inform any reader of
> QTBUG-50068 that I'm working on a patch?

After you push your patch to gerrit you can simply leave a comment on
QTBUG-50068 , linking to your review on gerrit.

You may further ask for the bug to be assigned to you and to mark it in
review (I'm not sure which privileges one needs to do so, eventually
just ask on this list or on #qt-labs on Freenode, any approver will be
glad to help); so far the rules on bug tracking have been quite sloppy
and not really enforced (we care more about fixing the bug than having a
strict bug tracking procedure, I guess).

Last, when your patch gets merged, you can ask to mark the bug as fixed,
with the SHA1 of the commit that got merged and the version of Qt that
will include the bug.

Cheers,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com | Software Engineer
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company | Tel: UK +44-1625-809908