[Development] High-DPI on Win

Waldmanns waldmanns at gmx.de
Thu Dec 31 20:01:03 CET 2015

thanks to all the good responses !

“Mind you, I have not found many Windows applications that handle high-dpi correctly, software is definitely lagging behind hardware here.”

I’m using my HDPI laptop since 2 years, and at that time many programs had issues but nowadays I find it hard to find one not rendering well
so, I’d like to disagree, this might have been true 2 years ago but – IMHO - is not nowadays

“The Windows ... platform plugins rounds the scale factor”
“the DPI value is rounded “
“there is a possibility that a solution like codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/143819 may be available in the future, but not for 5.6”

this then effectively means that QT will not be able to work properly on Win for a long time to come ... very sad to hear that

please note that the issue at hand is not only HDPI, in fact, in some ways it’s not HDPI at all but Win basic
the point is that Win allows for a user scaling (on my Win7 PC its by 100%,125%,150%, and on my Win8.1 lappi its by 100%,125%,150%200%,250%)
even on a “normal” display, such as the 1920x1080 display on my Win7 PC, QT doesn’t produce acceptable results with 125% or 150% choosen ... the issue with HDPI is only that it needs a larger scaling factor
so, the need of fractional scale factors isn’t something “new” but would have been needed for “ages” (at least since the introduction of Vista, not sure about earlier versions)

from it’s behavior in version 5.5, and from the above, it seems that QT totally fails to realize the Win ways of doing things

I don’t really understand why it should be that hard to allow for scalings of 1.25,1.5,2.0, and 2.5, I actually thought that QT is very close since much in the behind seems to be prepared for or do qreal scaling already, but obviously I’m very mistaken

anyhow, since an acceptable solution doesn’t seem to be near I guess I have to conclude that with deciding for QT I jumped on the wrong horse and have to swallow the bitter pill of having to go with Chrome apps

Thx a lot again for your comments, I’m sorry that my impression that this could be an easy to solve issue was wrong, and wish you all a Happy New Year,
Olli