[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Bo Thorsen bo at vikingsoft.eu
Thu Feb 5 08:31:24 CET 2015

Den 04-02-2015 kl. 15:56 skrev Olivier Goffart:
> On Wednesday 04 February 2015 09:23:12 Knoll Lars wrote:
>> On 04/02/15 10:20, "Olivier Goffart" <olivier at woboq.com> wrote:
>>> Also, is it not time to decide which platform are we going to stop
>>> supporting in Qt 5.6?
>>>
>>> For example, if we were to decide to start using some of the C++11, we
>>> should drop MSVC 2008 which would allow us to already use things like auto
>>> and decltype.
>>> We could also drop gcc 4.4 which would let us lambda function.
>>
>> In principle I agree. The problem with 2008 is that this is currently the
>> only compiler supporting Windows Embedded 7, so we can’t easily get rid of
>> it. Dropping gcc 4.4 is afaik not a big problem.
> The question then is how relevant will Windows Embedded 7 be in 2016 when Qt
> 5.6 will be there. And if it is worth to limit ourselves because of it.

Sounds to me like 5.5 will be a release that will be around for a while
then. This could be the one where those who need webkit, VS 2008 og Qt
Quick 1 would use. So declaring support for this will continue for a
while could make it easier to remove those parts.

If this could be the case, it could even be considered to go even
further and get rid of more stuff. VS 2010 would be one possibility. I'm
writing this with VS 2010 open for the project I'm currently on, so I
know it's still in use :) But getting rid of this opens for a lot more
C++11 features.

What I'm suggesting here is sort of a mini major release. It doesn't
feel like a 6.0 is necessary yet, but as the 5 line is mayby around half
through it's life, it might not be a bad idea to make a longer term release.

Bo.

--
Viking Software
Qt and C++ developers for hire