[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at theqtcompany.com
Thu Feb 5 16:44:53 CET 2015

On Thursday 5. February 2015 16.32.08 Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> On 3 February 2015 at 09:50, Hausmann Simon
>
> <Simon.Hausmann at theqtcompany.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Functionality wise, what type of "class" do you wrap with QScriptClass?
>
> Examples (you can guess from what project by looking at my footer):
> - Light data types (anything you see in databases and isn't mapping to
> javascript types). Long long?
> - Any very numerious non-QObject objects or calculated entities and/or
> properties that have no their structures at all. Thing about a
> database record  accessible by record.<fieldname>.

For those, would the new value type bindings be a sufficient replacement?
See also

http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/qt5-dev/qtqml-cppintegration-data.html#value-types

Once your type is a Q_GADGET you should be able to make a copy of it visible in JavaScript as easy as

QJSValue value = engine.toScriptValue(myValueType);

> Apart of that I'd also think about placing javascript bindings on the
> (headless) server side too, think of extensions to PostgreSQL, SQLite.
> The goal is to have the very same user-defined functions available at
> both client and server side.
>
> As said before I also need an API to implement a full visual debugger.

I'm afraid the debugging isn't quite on the table yet as we're still exploring different
implementations. The approach chosen in QtScript is too limiting for the engine
overall, but Andre has done some amazing work on trying out a new approach that
combines with the native debugger. But we're not talking API at this point though.

Simon