[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 00:06:30 CET 2015

On Thursday 05 February 2015 21:39:16 Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
[snip]
> > [0] <https://www.debian.org/security/2015/dsa-3148>
>
> It would have been the same problem with WebKit. Neither Google nor Apple
> cares about supporting any build environment more than 1-2 years old. When
> we still was part of WebKit, Digia were the ones supporting the at the time
> most widely used OS X release 10.6 because Apple did not, and that on top
> of support all Windows versions which Apple doesn't care about those
> either.

Yes, this is true, and actually one of the reason I don't want to spend my
time in packaging this web stuff :)

> And as you might remember PowerPC turned out to have been broken in
> QtWebKit's JavaScriptCore 5.0 to 5.3, and no one noticed, and those changes
> are not even upstreamable because Apple doesn't care.

But at least there we could just disable JIT, which is what we did. When we
had V8 around (if I remember correctly it was used for QML, but my memory
might be failing me) we couldn't.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/