[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:22:33 CET 2015

> It is just not practical to ship a second copy of dozens
> of system libraries, all built as part of QtWebEngine. This is a nightmare
> in terms of disk space, RAM use, potential for symbol conflicts and
delivery
> of security updates.

These are all valid concerns but ultimately of secondary importance to most
app developers
who care most about delivering working software to their end users and for
them the OS X / Windows
model of bundling anything not guaranteed to be part of the base platform
works quite nicely.

We ship a complete copy of Qt in our non-open source app for Linux and a
runtime wrapper that will
choose on the fly whether to use it or not. Because of that we are able to
offer a _better_ experience
for our users than packaged open source software, which sucks.

I'm not super enthused about shipping what is effectively a big chunk of an
operating system as part of an
app, but I can't disagree with Lars' comments about the effort required to
maintain a modern browser engine.