[Development] Upgrading the sources to C++11 keywords (Q_NULLPTR, etc.)

Mathias Hasselmann mathias at taschenorakel.de
Sun Feb 8 22:28:06 CET 2015

Am 08.02.2015 um 14:28 schrieb Marc Mutz:

> c. Using QMap. As Alex Stepanov put it: every use of a map should be discussed
>     in a face-to-face meeting with your manager. Since we don't have that, I'd
>     change this to: Everyone wishing to use a QMap should implement one before
>     using it for the first time. Then you'd see what you inflict on the world.
>
>     In the vast majority of cases, a sorted vector is much faster, due to
>     locality-of-reference. A RB-tree is optimized for wildly mixing insertions,
>     lookups, and removals. When you can batch updates and separate them from
>     lookups, time-wise, then a sorted vector is usually preferrable.

I totally agree, thank you for raising this. Sadly a sorted vector isn't
as convenient to use as a map. Maybe there should some convenience API
added, Or does it exist already and I am just too ignorant to know it?

> d. Algorithmic complexity. Avoid O(n²) like the plague. Anthing worse than
>     that should get a big fat comment saying why it's necessary (like: this
>     optimisation algorithm is equivalent to the knapsack problem, so I need to
>     use this exponential algorithm, because a) we need the global optimum, not
>     a local one, and b) the set is always less than four elements.

I wonder if one could do a clang plugin checking for the most obvious
complexity class sins. Like invocation of methods known to be O(n)  from
within a lengthy loop. One really has to find a way to educate people
about those sins.

Ciao,
Mathias