[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Bo Thorsen bo at vikingsoft.eu
Mon Feb 9 08:24:49 CET 2015

Den 08-02-2015 kl. 21:25 skrev Olivier Goffart:
> On Sunday 08 February 2015 19:15:18 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
>> Il 08/02/2015 17:58, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
>>> So we come back to this question again and again: if you can't upgrade the
>>> OS and upgrade the compiler, why do you want to upgrade Qt?
>>
>> Because people want to use the latest features / bugfixes for developing
>> their product, and yet they need to target such platforms...
>
> If Qt 5.5 is LTS, some bugs fixes could be backported.
> As for the new feature, if they can cope with an old system and compiler, they
> can also cope with old Qt. Even if that implies re-inventing a few wheels.
>
> So the question is:
> If we were to drop MSVC2008, about how many companies or developers do you
> think will choose not to use Qt because of that instead of using it?
>
> Is there perhaps a lot of paying customer using it who would stop paying
> licenses?

With a 5.5, LTS TQtC could have a reason for potential customers to
start buying licenses. WinCE, MSVC2008, maybe a couple of others. If
customers need this for a bugfixed Qt, buy the licenses.

I think it would be perfect, if we could find a way to proceed that
could support the business of TQtC.

Bo Thorsen,
Director, Viking Software.

--