[Development] Upgrading the sources to C++11 keywords (Q_NULLPTR, etc.)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 10 22:17:25 CET 2015

On Tuesday 10 February 2015 20:13:12 André Pönitz wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 07:53:23PM +0100, Marc Mutz wrote:
> > >
> > > Fair enough. But how about allowing people to change zeroes to
> > > Q_NULLPTR?
> >
> > Even more importantly: what about new code?
>
> Can't you simply wait until 'nullptr' is available? Do you really *need*
> to use macros instead of the core language?

We go back to the discussion of VS2008. That's the only major compiler we
still care about that doesn't support it.

But if we decide to use the actual keyword, then we *irrevocably* remove
support for GCC older than 4.6 and I know there's a lot of people trying to
use older versions.

If we're going that way, we should remove the -c++11 option from configure and
simply force it on, for Qt 5.5.