[Development] Proposal: Deprecating platforms in Qt 5.6 that don't support lambda

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Sat Feb 21 10:11:57 CET 2015

On Friday 20 February 2015 14:09:09 Rafael Roquetto wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 08:00:17AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Friday 20 February 2015 16:44:28 Cristian Adam wrote:
> > > There is another option for QNX, use libstdc++ from GCC and not libcpp
> > > from
> > > Dinkumware.
> > >
> > > But then again Rafael knows more about this:
> > > http://www.foundry27.com/sf/go/projects.qt/discussion.general.topc21981
> > >
> > > Is it not possible to have applications using only libstdc++?
> >
> > The problem with libstdc++ is -- I guess, without being told -- its
> > licence. It's a GPLv3 + exception library, so it has implications for
> > device manufacturers. That's why QNX won't default to it.
> >
> > In turn, applications and Qt switching to it means full ABI break.
>
> In addition to that, things like harfbuzz and other libs shipped as part of
> the SDP are built against libcpp (dinkum), meaning that we need to stick
> with it if we want to link against those libs (as Qt does).

The best approach is likely to be for us to work with QNX to point out where
their dinkumware libcpp has problems with specific examples, as we are doing
regarding the recent constexpr support issue. I'm sure QNX will be happy to
get pointers as to where they can make improvements to be more standard
compliant.

Regards,

Sean
--