[Development] SSL Plans for Qt 5.6

Richard Moore rich at kde.org
Sat Feb 21 18:30:54 CET 2015

Here's an outline of stuff I'd like to see get done in the Qt 5.6 time
frame:

* Complete removal of openssl 0.9.8 support

This has been unsupported for a while and was really only retained since it
is the only version apple ship on OS X (though they don't actually
recommend using it). Qt 5.5 introduces the new SecureTransport backend for
SSL so there's now no good reason to continue having all the ifdefs.
Openssl 0.9.8 will reach EOL in December anyway. In addition to removing
the support from the sources, I suspect this will involve some changes to
how the library is searched for when we use dlopen.

* As I've been trying to for ages, I'd like to get the support for OCSP and
OCSP stapling implemented.

* If possible, I'd like to get the rework of the ssl errors API discussed
at last years QtCS implemented.

Cheers

Rich.