[Development] Proposal: Deprecating platforms in Qt 5.6 that don't support lambda

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 21 19:36:58 CET 2015

On Saturday 21 February 2015 09:06:13 Sean Harmer wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2015 08:02:50 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Friday 20 February 2015 09:49:57 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > > I already have added Q_DECL_OVERRIDE to all the examples in
> > > qtbase/examples. The examples are currently compiled as part of CI, but
> > > maybe we should start using lambda and auto in the examples and
> > > disabling
> > > the compilation of them on old compiler.
> > >
> > > Also, what about enabling C++11/14 by default on new projects?
> > > https://codereview.qt-project.org/106797
> > > Or alternatively, making the CONFIG+=c++11 enabled by default or so.
> >
> > Agreed and I would also say that it's perfectly acceptable for new
> > features
> > and especially new modules to require those compiler features.
>
> Is that an actual rule or your opinion? There have been times that we would
> have liked to have been able to use C++11 in Qt3D. But, at the same time I'm
> very aware it would rule out WinCE from our list of possible targets at
> present.

It's been a rule that you can require C++11 core language for some new
features. The only example of a C++11 Standard Library feature dependency is
the use of std::chrono, which is guarded by SD-6 __has_include(<chrono>).

It's up to you: do you think you're going to unduly limit your audience by
using said feature? If so, don't do it.

As Marc says, "C++98 support costs more".