[Development] SSL Plans for Qt 5.6

Jeremy Lainé jeremy.laine at m4x.org
Sun Feb 22 18:50:24 CET 2015

On 02/22/2015 06:42 PM, Richard Moore wrote:

> On 22 February 2015 at 17:39, Jeremy Lainé <jeremy.laine at m4x.org
> <mailto:jeremy.laine at m4x.org>> wrote:
>

>     Whilst I agree with the goal of dropping support for old /
>     unmaintained
>     OpenSSL versions, in the case of OS X we probably need to map out the
>     transition in more detail - especially what policy to follow for the
>     official binary releases. My main concern is that in Qt 5.5 the
>     SecureTransport backend is available on OS X, but as far as I know we
>     are still aiming for OpenSSL-based binaries. This means that a lot of
>     users will not be exposed to this new backend at all, and then
>     suddenly
>     in Qt 5.6 the old backend will be completely gone, with no way to
>     build
>     it even from source.
>

> I think you're misunderstanding. Openssl will remain supported, just
> not the outdated 0.9.8 branch apple ship. Users will still be able to
> make use of openssl on mac they'll just have install a newer version.
> Does this change your concerns?

I understood what you were saying, I think I just expressed my concerns
poorly. When I said "now way to build even from source", I meant "no way
to build support for OpenSSL as shipped by Apple". Anyway, my main
concern is : how do we encourage OS X users to make use of the new
backend, to avoid nasty surprises when it because the default backend?

Slightly off-topic but related : does the Qt Company have any privileged
access to Apple engineers working on Secure Transport? I would like to
understand what the plans are regarding support for NPN / ALPN.

Cheers,
Jeremy