[Development] Mime database size

David Faure david.faure at kdab.com
Mon Feb 23 14:11:47 CET 2015

On Monday 23 February 2015 12:00:51 Knoll Lars wrote:
> Yes, I still don’t like the fact we’re embedding a 1.7M xml file in Qt
> Core at all. I’m not too fond of checking the binary file into the
> repositories, but it’s probably still better than continuing with the XML
> file.

Yes. The binary file would be 109KB, much smaller already.

> David, I can’t see how the use case of the app installing additional mime
> types is supported today (as there is no API to register additional XML
> files or anything like that.

Trust me (or read the unit test), it works :-)
Additional XML files are found by looking at the filesystem,
QStandardPaths::GenericDataLocation + "mime/packages/", as per the mime spec.

> So I can’t see how embedding the binary blob
> instead of the XML file will give us a feature regression today.

See previous email. Can be fixed, of course, but it's a bit more effort
(I won't have time in the near future, but maybe later....).

--
David Faure | david.faure at kdab.com | Managing Director KDAB France
Tel. France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53, http://www.kdab.fr