[Development] Mime database size

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Feb 23 15:41:42 CET 2015

On Monday 23 February 2015 10:08:43 Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> Am 23.02.2015 um 08:11 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> >>
> >> Somehow I thought that one of the big benefits of free software and open
> >> source is, that you _don't_ have to rewrite each and every simple tool.
> >> Obviously I've missed something.
> >
> > The problem is requiring glib on OS X and Windows in order to build Qt.
>
> What's exactly the problem with glib on OS X or Windows?

Autoconf and libtool, for starters.

Just look at how difficult it was to get people to accept Perl as a dependency
on Windows -- namely, the fact that it *isn't* acceptable to depend on Perl.
So depending on sh & coreutils so an Autoconf configure script can be run is
totally unacceptable.

Like Lars said, it's the complexity. We should be removing it, not adding
more.