[Development] Mime database size

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Mon Feb 23 15:59:18 CET 2015

On 23/02/15 15:37, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On Monday 23 February 2015 13:20:48 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:00:51PM +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:
>> > Yes, I still don’t like the fact we’re embedding a 1.7M xml file in Qt
>> > Core at all. I’m not too fond of checking the binary file into the
>> > repositories, but it’s probably still better than continuing with the
>>XML
>> > file.
>>
>> there is no such dichotomy. we can include the binary into the
>> distribution packages only, as we do with configure.exe and the
>> forwarding headers.
>
>Remember the discussion with Debian and Fedora packagers: it should be
>easy to
>rebuild the file as part of the build process.

Actually for the distributions we should change Qt to use the system
provided database, not our own copy. So that's almost orthogonal to what
we do on the other platforms.

>Either way, we need to be able to do it for ourselves, when we build from
>Git.
>I'd rather not have the binary file in the Git repos if we can avoid it.

I'd also prefer it, but I would (currently) like to avoid having a
dependency on update-mime-database in our toolchain. It's hard enough as
it is to maintain our build and packaging machines on Windows and OS X.

Cheers,
Lars