[Development] Mime database size

Adam Majer adamm at zombino.com
Tue Feb 24 08:06:19 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 07:48:37AM +0100, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> Am 17.02.2015 um 14:36 schrieb Cristian Adam:
> > One could rewrite this small utility into Qt and then it would be
> > available everywhere.
>
> Somehow I thought that one of the big benefits of free software and open
> source is, that you _don't_ have to rewrite each and every simple tool.
> Obviously I've missed something.

By rewrite, he meant *port to*. So, you don't have to rewrite
anything, "just" port it to the API that is available on a given
platform. By porting it to Qt, then it would be automatically
available everywhere that Qt is available.

If the utility was not free open source, you would have to rewrite the
entire utility from scratch instead of "just" porting it.

- Adam

--
Adam Majer
adamm at zombino.com