[Development] QStandardPaths could be helpful for cross platform portability, Qt Everywhere

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 24 18:55:03 CET 2015

On Tuesday 24 February 2015 13:47:53 Sorvig Morten wrote:
> On OS X (and iOS): place the resources in he framework bundle for the
> component that owns them. Add public API to the component for accessing the
> resources.

Agreed. That means libraries that get installed as frameworks should simply
carry their private data inside their bundle. That makes it a lot easier to
move, remove, and update the framework.

> Installers and deployment utilities can then move the framework bundles as
> needed, for example to a shared location for a “system” installation, or to
> the applicaiton bundle to create a stand-alone, sandboxable app.

Yep.

However, I don't think that's sufficient. It misses two important use-cases:

1) non-framework libraries
2) libraries (framework or not) accessing global resources installed by global
package management

Both cases still require finding unbundled data.