[Development] QStandardPaths could be helpful for cross platform portability, Qt Everywhere

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Wed Feb 25 13:26:06 CET 2015

Tor Arne,

As a test I modified my setup on OS X yesterday to pass
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_DATADIR="/Users/jeremy/Library/Application Support/" to
every KDE module's cmake comand. This successfully installed all supporting
data files into ~/Library/Application Support/foo and only required a
couple of minor changes to KF5FooConfig.cmake files so these data files
(mostly scripts, but also the previously mentioned xsl data files) could be
found when building other libraries or applications that depend on foo. So
far everything "just works" as it did with the QSP patch. I.e. stuff that's
broken on OS X is still broken, but those are other issues. I'll write up a
suggestion on the KDE mailing lists today about how best to make these
changes OS X specific whether that be having separate FooConfig.cmake.in
files for OS X or by changing them to be more cross platform anyway, we'll
see.

BR,
Jeremy