[Development] QtCore missing check for memory allocation

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Thu Feb 26 21:05:31 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:33:17AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Thursday 26 February 2015 20:16:43 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > There's no feature on Linux to do that. Overcommit is always enabled.
> >
> > wrong.
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vm/overcommit-accounting
>
> Have you read the file you linked to?

did you?

> Options are:
>  0	Heuristic overcommitting
>  1	Always overcommit
>  2	Overcommit by swap + 50% of RAM
>
> That sounds to me like you can't turn it off.

that sounds to me like you didn't read it. because if you did, you'd
know that 50% is merely the default.

> > > True, but it's the vast majority of the embedded OSes out there
> > > and only growing.
> >
> > given tqtc's strategic interest in the embedded market, a purely
> > majority-based approach is hardly justifiable.
>
> One contributor company's strategy does not bind the others or the
> project.  The project governance rules apply to the project.

even assuming that nobody else had an interest in this, you'd still need
rather good reasons to effectively sabotage another contributor's
interest, especially considering the majority situation.

> That implies discussion on technical content, which is what we're
> doing. As we're reaching no consensus, the Chief Maintainer should be
> asked to weigh in.

as i see it, the discussion has just begun. calling for consensus - let
alone chief maintainer intervention - seems a tiny bit premature. it
also seems like a bit of an own goal, considering the CM's affiliation