[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 18 05:56:29 CET 2015

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Right. That would reduce from 4 to 2 targets you need to support. Since
> it's more than 1, the use-case remains.

For the MinGW stuff, I consider it the build system tool's job to support
the cross-prefix for all binaries. The autotools automatically add that
prefix to all tool invocations. I haven't yet had to cross-compile a CMake-
based project, so I'm not sure how the CMake cross-compiling support works
exactly, but there must be a way to make it work that does not involve
manually choosing the MinGW Qt. (It needs to be selected automatically as a
result of choosing to cross-compile the program, i.e., of setting
CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE. I haven't tested whether this already works in Fedora
or needs fixing.) If qmake IS the build system, it's as for the -qt5 suffix,
the user will have to run the proper mingw32-qmake-qt5 there, no surprises
in this case. (This is already the recommended way to handle this in
Fedora.) As for any other build systems, I'd be surprised if they even
(correctly and completely) handle cross-compiling at all.

        Kevin Kofler