[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 18 06:34:11 CET 2015

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Now we have a legacy to keep, so we can't accept a radical change. Only
> incremental improvements.

You will find that very few deployments out there in the real world use
qtchooser. The widely-used RHEL most definitely does not, it inherits the
exact same Qt setup Fedora uses. (In fact, the maintainers from Red Hat were
also against using qtchooser in Fedora.) Operating systems other than
GNU/Linux also do not use qtchooser. So doing away with it would only make
the world more uniform.

You, the Qt Project, need to accept that qtchooser has just not caught on,
it was an attempt that turned out a failure, and needs to be replaced by a
better and much simpler solution (just renaming the binaries).

        Kevin Kofler