[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:02:21 CET 2015

On Sunday 18 January 2015 21:08:24 Konstantin Ritt wrote:
[snip]
> >   for pretty much ANY build system out there.
>
> There is no need for moc/rcc/uic to be suffixed. In fact, they are an
> internal build tools invoked by qmake and thus they should normally reside
> in libexec dir (or you may query qmake for its specific libexec dir path to
> invoke them manually) -- just like GCC's cc1 or fixincl.
> So the question is about "qmake -qt5" vs. "qmake-qt5" only. Here, if qmake
> is a "smart" wrapper, its usage is similar to pkg-config: one may query a
> list of installed packages, obtain their properties, or invoke a command on
> a tool itself - the only difference is that it lists Qt configurations
> instead of packages.

No, there's also qdbus for instance. We in Debian had some problems when users
managed to get a qt4 program using qt5's qdbus by setting qtchooser's default
at qt5. The good side of this: it turned out to be a bug in qt5's qdbus which
got fixed and then it simply worked, but if at some point qt4's and qt5's
version of qdbus behave differently then chances are that we are going to see
more bugs :)

I don't remeber if there are more executables in the same position as qdbus
(ie, called at runtime) but as long as we have Qt4 as default (as we do by
using qtchooser) more of this problems might arise.

Now if there is a workaround for this I would like to know it, as it will sure
be handy in the near future.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/