[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:02:27 CET 2015

On Sunday 18 January 2015 22:48:45 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > With my distro-packager hat on I realize the best solution would have been
> > indeed using prefixed binaries
>
> Please make them suffixed (*-qt5), which is the established convention.
> (Debian also used *-qt4 suffixes in the days where you shipped Qt 3 and 4
> side by side. So did other distros such as Mandriva.)

I actually wanted to mean suffixed. Typo mistake.

> > That ship already sailed for Qt5, but we might want to revisit it for Qt6.
>
> I think that a rename can be phased in at any time, just shipping both
> (upstream! Distributions like Fedora that never shipped unsuffixed binaries
> in /usr/bin would of course still not do so, there's no change for those)
> and recommending that all users move to the suffixed versions. It can easily
> be done in 5.5. (Technically, even in 5.4.1 or 5.4.2, but that would be
> against the policies for point releases.) Then it'd also be less of a
> surprise (and encounter less resistance) to kick out the unsuffixed
> binaries in Qt 6.
[snip]

Only if the issue is really reopened to debate here. As Thiago said, it was
already decided in 2012. Now of course I would welcome this change.

> > Thiago was very kind to accept some patches for this to happen.
> > QTCHOOSER_GLOBAL_DIR is used to select between the available conf files
> > even with hierarchy.
>
> Interesting approach. But in Fedora, we want to default to:
> 1. the x86_64 -devel package if only it is installed,
> 2. the i686 -devel package if only it is installed (even on an x86_64
>    system),
> 3. the x86_64 -devel package if both i686 and x86_64 are installed.
> How to set QTCHOOSER_GLOBAL_DIR while honoring 2. is non-obvious.

The variable can be a list of directories with precedence :) You just need to
install the right stuff in the right place. Hacky, but it works.

--
$ make war
make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.  Try `love' instead

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/