[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:11:39 CET 2015

On Sunday 18 January 2015 22:17:24 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > No, there's also qdbus for instance. We in Debian had some problems when
> > users managed to get a qt4 program using qt5's qdbus by setting
> > qtchooser's default at qt5. The good side of this: it turned out to be a
> > bug in qt5's qdbus which got fixed and then it simply worked, but if at
> > some point qt4's and qt5's version of qdbus behave differently then
> > chances are that we are going to see more bugs :)
>
> This kind of issues is exactly why Fedora does NOT use qtchooser for the
> distro Qt and strongly recommends against its use. Your packaged software in
> Debian now behaves differently depending on the user's system
> configuration, a disaster for reliability and reproducibility.

True, but so far it hasn't been *that* grave.

> I don't
> understand how a major distribution like Debian managed to decide to adopt
> such a flawed setup (but then again, that same distribution also invented
> the even more flawed "alternatives" hack…).

Come on, let's not get into that kind of discussion, it's not going to take us
anywhere good, apart from being off topic.

With respect to using qtchooser, Sune and I decided to give it a try and try
to keep with what upstream recommends. I recognize it's far from optimal, and
that's why I jumped in in this thread. But please let's try to keep ourselves
in a constructive talk :)

--
...man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because
he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars and so on -- whilst all

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/