[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Mon Jan 19 10:28:43 CET 2015

> On Jan 18, 2015, at 10:24 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>
> Konstantin Ritt wrote:
>> There is no need for moc/rcc/uic to be suffixed. In fact, they are an
>> internal build tools invoked by qmake and thus they should normally reside
>> in libexec dir (or you may query qmake for its specific libexec dir path
>> to invoke them manually) -- just like GCC's cc1 or fixincl.
>
> That is just not true. Many Qt programs out there are NOT built using qmake,
> but more flexible build systems. Those build systems need to call those
> tools themselves. Even Qt itself is experimenting with qmake replacements
> (see e.g. QBS). cc1 is almost never invoked directly (only through gcc), but
> this is not true for moc, rcc, uic etc. So hiding them in a non-PATH
> directory is not an ideal solution (even if that directory can be found by
> invoking qmake).

I don’t know how you could use QBS to support your case of renaming the Qt tools. To use a specific Qt version with QBS, you configure a profile in QBS with the corresponding paths to the binaries/libraries/etc. I do not see how QBS would benefit from renamed tool names, actually it would get more complicated.

--
Eike Ziller, Senior Software Engineer - The Qt Company GmbH