[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jan 20 05:25:55 CET 2015

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 01:11:55 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2015 19:30:46 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > > So, as Sune Vuorela also explained, having multiple major versions of Qt
> > > in
> > > parallel is always going to be a fact of life.
> >
> > Indeed, but the Qt devs' original proposal was to simply put it outside
> > /usr/bin, possibly even outside of $PATH. If distros had accepted to
> > install Qt in (say) /opt/qt5, there would have been no qtchooser, no
> > renaming and no need for change anywhere in our buildsystem. But distros
> > refused to do what we asked...
>
> For the sake of completeness, we are not allowed to do so in the same
> strength that the Qt project doesn't allows binary incompatibility between
> minor versions, and for which us downstreamers are very grateful :)

I know you're not allowed to do that, but there's no technical reason why that
is so. Unlike binary compatibility. It's a choice.

But contrast that to the distros asking for the renaming and the majority of
Qt developers rejecting that. The ideal solution for either group was rejected
outright as soon as the discussion began. So we had to come up with
alternatives and compromises.