[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jan 20 13:43:53 CET 2015

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The FHS does not restrict /opt to admin-installed packages. It simply says
> "add-on application software packages", unlike /usr/local, for which it
> says " for use by the system administrator when installing software
> locally".

Fedora has historically interpreted "add-on application software packages"
to mean packages not delivered by the Fedora Project. As far as I know, this
matches Debian's interpretation.

In Fedora, the rule has since been relaxed in theory:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Limited_usage_of_.2Fopt.2C_.2Fetc.2Fopt.2C_and_.2Fvar.2Fopt
but in practice, no package is currently using either of the 2 approved ways
to use /opt, and our packaging committee has also stated that they will
require a really good reason to allow a package to install to /opt/fedora,
so far nobody has approached them with such a request because there are
better solutions. (The "Software Collection" variant is preapproved and so
more likely to get used, but so far we do not have any such "Software
Collection" packaged in the official Fedora repositories either.)

In the Qt case, whether we install the Qt binaries to /usr/lib(64)/qt5/bin
or /opt/fedora/qt5/bin does not really change anything, except that only the
former supports multilib qmake. There can still be only one unsuffixed
binary found in the default PATH (the first listed hides all the others). So
/opt does not solve any of our issues.

        Kevin Kofler