[Development] QSystemTrayIcon label (so-called title) on OS X

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Jan 26 09:20:09 CET 2015

On Monday 26 January 2015, Ilya Kowalewski wrote:
> The label itself has nothing to do with messages or notifications. As you
> can see on the screenshot, it's informative string assigned to the icon
> itself. A possible usecase I keep in mind is to display number of unread
> messages there (for a messaging application). Adding this to public API is
> absolutely fine to me, but as far as I understood from what Thiago said,
> this won't get accepted, since it's a platform-wise feature, not available
> on other platforms.

That still sounds like the primary notification to me. Note that we sometimes
also replace systemtray icon with the most recent notifications icon, since we
can't show arbitrary icons in notifications currently.

Alternatively you could consider it a different way of showing the tooltip,
and set it that way, unless you need a separate string there.