[Development] Qt LTS & C++11 plans (CopperSpice)

Ansel Sermersheim ansel at copperspice.com
Fri Jul 3 07:09:13 CEST 2015

On 7/2/15 2:23 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Thursday 02 July 2015 23:00:43 Bernhard wrote:
>> Unfortunately adding signals of the template’s type is exactly what I would
>> have needed several times. In that case there is no clean solution. I once
>> added QVariant based signals as a workaround but that was ridiculous. In
>> modern times having powerful C++ generic programming features it is a shame
>> that QObject doesn’t support this. IMHO this is one of the features (like
>> C++11) that need to be introduced in Qt as fast as possible if it should
>> not appear old-fashioned soon.
>
> You can use C++11 (and even C++14 and newer) with Qt just fine. Heck, it even
> uses a lot of C++11 features internally. So what exactly do you mean by the
> above?

Yes, you can use C++11 in your application. Our viewpoint is that Qt
developers should be able to use C++11 internally in the project. They
are slated to allow most of C++11 like decltype, rvalue references, and
lambdas in 2016. However, things like constexpr will still not be allowed.

More importantly, there are many features of C++11 you cannot use in
your application like smart pointers. Ok, you can use them, but you
cannot use them to interact with Qt. To a modern C++ programmer this
comes across as a significant limitation.

Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Co-Founder
www.copperspice.com